What is the best way to deploy and enforce macOS updates using FileWave?

At this time we install almost all major or minor macOS updates manually but in the future we hope to do this automatically.

The FileWave MDM Software Update solution is honestly not the most attractive option for us, so I've been reading through a few Apple KB articles which said that it is possible to create configuration profiles (Use MDM to deploy software updates to Apple devices - Apple Support) but I have not yet been able to find out how to do this in FileWave.

I know that it is possible with Microsoft Intune, but we don't want to enrol our Macs to Intune (a Hybrid enrol is not possible anyways into two different MDMs).

• Moderators

Not quite sure I follow your desire.

You suggested you don't want to use FileWave MDM and then suggest you want to use Apple's MDM.  Apple's MDM is FileWave's MDM.

All the issues that have occurred through the Software Update Process are an issue for all MDM vendors; an issue that has actually hindered their process for years.

The profile mentioned would look something like this:

image.png.6908ce37c3afc428b301989a0d11cb88.png

As noted in their KB, the newer DDM will hopefully improve the control of Software Updates.  FileWave 15.3 will introduce DDM at a basic level, with newer features of DDM being introduced subsequently.

Likelihood that Apple mentioned the above Profile, is mainly because of this statement:

Note: Software update declarations and MDM commands and profiles can coexist; however, software updates enforced by declarations will always take precedence over MDM commands and profiles.

All MDM vendors are hoping that MDM Software Updates will improve with DDM, but it is early days; we need newer updates to exist and for the status to be monitored.

However, if you configure the above Profile to automate the entire process, then the OS should take over and updates should just instal, but with no granular management control, when Apple tells the device there is an update, it will just do it; MDM need not be involved.

• Thanks 1

The configuration profile to change the automatic update settings is a good start. This way the users will at least be prompted to install updates by themselves.

Is there something similar for iOS/iPadOS? I can't seem to find the configuration options for it.

Thank you Sean!

• Moderators

There is no equivalent for i(Pad)OS.  On macOS, Custom Settings Payload uses the old MCX method of managing OS X that carried over to Profiles.

MDM is the only option on i(Pad)OS, with only the basic options provided for deferring updates.

image.png.687e3648c00151b369da53a2ff7bdb38.png

With updates being managed through the Software Updates view.

• Thanks 1