Checkin-Verify Etc.

mdspidle

Is there a rhyme or reason to how/when an iPad will check in with the Filewave server?  I am trying to install apps on a classroom of iPads and the server is saying an iPad hasn't connected since yesterday afternoon.  I am looking at the iPad and it is online and connected to the internet, but nothing I try is having any effect getting it to connect and install the app I associated.

Ideas, or is this normal?

• Moderators
8 hours ago, mdspidle said:

Is there a rhyme or reason to how/when an iPad will check in with the Filewave server?  I am trying to install apps on a classroom of iPads and the server is saying an iPad hasn't connected since yesterday afternoon.  I am looking at the iPad and it is online and connected to the internet, but nothing I try is having any effect getting it to connect and install the app I associated.

By default I believe every 24 hours the FW server sends a push notification to try and get updated info from the device, but also when something is associated with it or a command is sent to it then an APNS push will happen. If you pick an iPad and double click it in the Clients window to look at the details like in the below image and go to "Command History" it'll show you the APNS pushes and if they were sent and if they were received by the device. You should see ones from today and if you stay on the window you should see them change to sent and then acknowledged if the device is on the Internet and can reach both Apple and your FileWave server. If you aren't seeing the commands acknowledged then there is either a communication/firewall issue or it can be an issue with your FileWave server to work out with Support possibly. 

1904328549_DMPTT57WHP50-iOSClientInfo2022-10-13at5_44_31PM.jpg.67a44bc3547d6a444c3d55ca96323bed.jpg 

You can configure how frequently FileWave will request iOS (iPadOS, tvOS) devices checking in preferences:

1304834384_Screenshot2022-10-16at17_55_14.png.25649d6f8a7e0be644b4c2a4cb8b64b1.png

Default value is once every 24h.

Apple MDM works as follows:

1. device reacts to APN (Apple Push Notification) request, and connects to MDM server
  2. MDM server responds with an MDM request, which can be a Query (typical : Device Information) or a Command (for instance: InstallApplication)
  3. device responds to the request (acknowledge, query data, error...)
  4. if any, MDM server sends next request, or "You're set" message.

So, when FileWave needs to do/read something on the device, it adds corresponding commands to the device command queue and send APN request to Apple. Apple will then order the device to check in and the process starts.

Above setting will add everything Inventory to the command queue ; opening Client Info as well (this allows us to show the most up to date data in Client Info). But after model update, if anything changed for this device, checkin will be requested to install or remove apps or profiles. If the device enters a smart group, same happens.

If the device is not contacting FileWave, you can check:

• is your server able to connect to Apple APN server ?
  • is your APN certificate up to date and valid (you need to be careful when renewing the certificate each year)
  • is FileWave server running ok ? The main component used to deal with Apple APNs is what we call the "scheduler" (to avoid server heavy load, APNs are sent by batch and not all at the same time to make sure not all your devices connect to your server at the exact same time).

As @Josh Levitsky mentioned, if you're sure you don't have network / firewall issue and if your APN certificate is good, then it may be a FileWave issue. I'd start with restarting the services (assuming you're running service on prem), and then contact our Support to figure out what could be the issue.

• Thanks 1