Getting started with new AutoPKGr recipe

Jaime

I've used AutoPKGr to grab the latest version of Chrome and load it into our FileWave server.  I've also used it to download Cricut Design Studio, but I've always had to add that into a fileset manually.  I know there is a way to make a new autopkg recipe and I know it is possible to include uploading an *.app bundle into a fileset (since the recipe for Chrome does this), but I don't know how.  I've tried to read the recipes that already exist and I've looked for documentation, but it hasn't really made sense to me yet.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for learning how to make new autopkg recipes that upload to FileWave?  Assume that I already have a recipe that can download the DMG file.  I just need to figure out how to extract the *.app inside it and put that into a fileset.  I can figure out the rest, e.g. association to a smart group, etc.

• Moderators

I'm hoping someone adds to this but time permitting I'll try to add something. If someone doesn't offer a PKG recipe for the thing you want to package, then the below does help with learning AutoPkg. It can get complex but below is also a tool that is meant to make things more simple. So long as you end up with a PKG you could add that to FileWave easily:

We also have a #autopkg channel on our Discord server where I shared a script and presentation that lets you automatically push new software versions from AutoPkgr to FileWave as a fileset. If you've not seen Discord, it's https://discord.gg/filewave and maybe if you are already good on AutoPkgr and have a recipe and it's more about automating it going into FileWave then maybe that script in Discord would give what you need. I'll attach it here so you wouldn't necessarily need to go over there. It's a PDF, video and script. 

Using AutoPKG to support 3rd party apps - Mac.pdf autopkg_fw_import.sh

• Moderators

Not sure I follow.  The importer creates Filesets and has always been able to add .app files.

For example, my Cyberduck override recipe includes:

Parent recipe(s):    /Users/Shared/Autopkg/RecipeRepos/com.github.autopkg.filewave/CyberDuck/Cyberduck.filewave.recipe
                     /Users/Shared/Autopkg/RecipeRepos/com.github.autopkg.recipes/Cyberduck/Cyberduck.download.recipe
Input values: 
    'NAME': 'Cyberduck',
    'SPARKLE_FEED_URL': 'https://version.cyberduck.io/changelog.rss',
    'fw_destination_root': '/Applications/%NAME%.app',
    'fw_fileset_group': 'macOS Autopkg - %NAME%'

On upload, it adds the Fileset to my chosen Fileset group with appropriate name

image.png.8a2bcf65e18ad9ba37c557007e9c8041.png

I then have a subgroup which is the group I associate to devices.  After testing the new Fileset, I then switch out the old version with the new version in the sub group.  The Fileset itself is:

image.png.789787d5758212cfd7cd701297c84067.png

The final output of running the recipe is:

The following fileset was imported:
    Fw Fileset Id  Fw Fileset Group           Fw Fileset Name    
    -------------  ----------------           ---------------    
    736065         macOS Autopkg - Cyberduck  Cyberduck - 8.5.4  

Which aspects do you feel you are missing?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AnEngelsen said:

That said, the shell script looks to be a good interim solution for .pkg installers.
(No current support for importing .app fileset revisions w. AutoPKG, correct?)

I think you are right that the importer doesn't handle it but the script does. The importer needs an overhaul no matter what because of Deployments becoming the thing in the future. In 14.10.0 I believe you'll see more detail about Deployments in FileWave Central (Native) and over time Deployments takes over for Associations so something has to happen with the importer to move over to using APIs for making the Payload and Deployment, but I'm not sure of the timeline for that to happen. I doubt the importer would get enhancements for the current Associations / Filesets that exist today.