Renew Package and Config profile

Larry Benshoof

I am trying to deploy Renew (https://github.com/SecondSonConsulting/Renew) and am having issues with the configuration profile in FileWave. I have opened and modified the sample config file here (https://github.com/SecondSonConsulting/Renew/blob/main/Example Configuration Profiles/com.secondsonconsulting.renew_MinimalOptions_Deadline_Example.mobileconfig) in the iMazing Profile editor. I did need to add the developer manifest to the iMazing app preferences. When I try to import/load the profile from iMazing into the FileWave profile editor in Central or Anywhere only the General section is imported. The section with the app settings is missing. In Central I am unable to even the save the profile. It says there is an error but doesn't show any more info. In Anywhere the General section will show and then there is an error message "Unsupported Profiles Found!. The following profile type is unavailable: renew. That profile will remain in the payload unchanged." I've attached a screenshot as well. Do I need to add the developer manifest somehow in the FileWave Editor for it to be recognized or I am I missing something?

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 8.35.04 AM.png

• Moderators

The profile doesn't match any profiles defined by Apple.  If you try and upload a mobileconfig file to FileWave, FileWave will expect it to be one of Apple's defined profiles, e.g Dock, SCEP, Network, etc.  However this is none of those.

FileWave can take Custom Settings for such things, but this expects a plist file.  You could try renaming the mobileconfig files to plist, import them into the Custom Settings payload and see if that then gives you what you are after.

• Moderators

I see another way to address this but I wish we did it the way iMazing does.  I imported the profile and got the message you got which was expected. I couldn't save the profile. I added Custom Settings and put in a dummy value that I didn't really care about setting. It let me save, and when I export the profile the unsupported section is still in the profile so it's just that our editor doesn't like to save a profile that is -only- an unknown payload, but it will not destroy the unknown payload. It'll keep it and let you save if you have something else in the profile that we do support. @Sean do you see any issue with this approach? I do like your approach if you could use the custom to set the needed keys without doing this trick.  297185845_Image2023-01-13at12_18_42PM.jpg.49c9b894de77c3a39337bd46be9cf531.jpg

@Josh LevitskyYour solution does work. @Sean Adding the settings from the mobile config file as a plist in custom settings kept throwing errors in the test commands. It sort of worked... It will be a pain to adjust settings since that would have to be done in iMazing Profile editor and then import that into the FileWave Profile editor but I think once we get settings confirmed for general use it will be fine.

There is also a setting in iMazing Profile editor for Service Management - Managed Login Items to suppress the Notification that a launch daemon is running. That's also a recommended setting for the Renew script. Haven't had a chance to test that yet. Thanks for the help!

• Moderators

Great that the workaround worked. Service Management is new in Ventura I believe and our editor doesn’t yet have it but you could do a profile from iMazing and bring it in to FW with the same trick. I’ll have to see if 14.10.0 will have Service Management when I get a test release.